In the Year of the Wood Horse: Become One with Its Power
Yesterday brought the beginning of the lunar year. In Chinese astrology, it’s the Year of the Green Wood Horse, who’s arrived in our lives with great energetic pomp and circumstance:
- An Aquarius New Moon the day before infused it with power, bringing the seed energy for us all to receive life-changing inspiration in a silent hour.
- * The Wood Horse rode in on the eve of the potent midpoint between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox. In the Celtic world, this day has long been known as Imbolc. It’s a time the energetic balance tilts towards spring and its resurgence of life. The transformative fire goddess Brigid is honored at Imbolc.
- On first day of this Lunar New Year, the eve of Imbolc, Venus ended her 40-day retrograde vision quest in the arms of Pluto, confronting Jupiter from across the sky.
- And Mercury entered Pisces. The presence of the Cosmic Messenger in the sign that taps the great Oneness of the Universe will powerfully support the qualities needed to develop trust and intimacy with the powerful energy of the young horse. Those include deep intuition, emotional rapport, and the ability to process multiple levels of reality through the heart.
- Mercury is moving slowly through this first week of the Horse. On Thursday, February 6, he dives deep beneath the surface for a three-week retrograde. It’s the perfect energy for getting to know the magical creature who’s entered your life.
First Task of the Year of the Wood Horse: Gentling the Horse
The Horse is wild and willful, and the first task he brings us all is the process of bonding that all the horse whisperers call “gentling.” Much of the energy in the sky is on this “gentling” team:
- Jupiter is diving deep into Cancer on his own retrograde vision quest. Across the sky now from Venus and Pluto, the Blessing Giver is helping us to balance our need for deep healing and grace with the power of our desires
- Mercury’s presence in Pisces, where Neptune and Chiron are also sojourning, supports deep intuition, empathy, and heart-centered awareness. All will help us develop the relationship with the Horse that will be necessary to ride this powerful being through the big, big waves of change ahead. The sign of Pisces is charged with more potency in the years between 2012 and 2020 than we’ve experienced in over a century and a half. All of Mercury’s journeys through Pisces during this time help us understand this potency, and the Year of the Wood Horse can be particularly expansive for our consciousness.
Your Inner Horse Whisperers: Mercury, Neptune, & Chiron
Neptune, the Cosmic Dreamer & Mystic, is traveling through his home sign for the first time in over 150 years. Chiron, the Cosmic Healer, is here as well, for the fist time in 50 years. As a centaur, Chiron is himself part horse of the heavens.
Next month, after the Vernal Equinox, Mercury will merge his vibrations with both Neptune and Chiron. When he does, much about our spiritual kinship with the other animal beings who dwell on Planet Earth with us will be revealed to all who will receive the message.
- Mercury will only be in Pisces until February 13, before moving back into Aquarius.
- On March 18, the Messenger will return to the sign of the Oneness, for the revelatory meetings with Neptune and Chiron that will take place in the 8 days after the Vernal Equinox.
There’s a magical quality to the energy between now and February 13. The first half of February will be a fertile, transformative time to begin to learn how to relate to the Horse as it’s showing up in your life. You’re two cosmic beings, you and the Wood Horse. With the Horse in the wave state and you in the particle state, as the quantum physicists would say, it’s a complete quantum relationship. The amount of trust, intimacy, and daring it contains will have everything to do with what happens to and for you in the year ahead.